Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Unilever Series: Ai Weiwei

There are approximately 100 million of them. The sunflower seeds look identical and natural but they are entirely artificial and unique. Every single sunflower seed has its own story behind it. The seeds are created through a rigorous process by Chinese workers. Some workers are very skilled and can paint many seeds per minute. Some workers are children just learning the steps. Families may paint seeds together or a young child may do it in his or her spare time before dinner. Regardless, the sculpture implements a thought-provoking mechanism for the viewer. When I look at it, I want to walk through the seeds barefoot like I am at the beach. I want to swim through the seeds. They look so real that I want to eat the seeds. But then I come back to reality and tell myself that they are not real. And then look at them again and my mind goes off in wonderland.

No comments:

Post a Comment